Review: Essence Camouflage Full Coverage Concealer - 05 Ivory

I've been loving Catrice Liquid Camouflage High Coverage Concealer. It's my favorite concealer. It covers well, is not too drying and has a good staying power. When I saw that Essence made something that looked exactly the same to Catrice's, I had to try it out. Here are my thoughts on it.


It's called Essence Camouflage Full Coverage Concealer. It comes in a plastic transparent lip gloss packaging. The top is orange. It's slightly bulkier than Catrice's version.

In it is 5 ml of product and I think it costs a bit under 3€ (I've forgotten to write the price down).


It has doe foot applicator that holds a bit of product, but I always have to go back into the tube for more, when I do my whole face. The applicator is fluffy and works nice.



I got it in the lightest shade called 05 Ivory and it's fairly neutral shade. It actually looks slightly pink and slightly peachy all in one, although on me it still turns more warmer than cool. It's a light shade, but it oxidizes on my hands. It does not oxidize on the skin. This shade will suit fair and light skin tones. 


I also compared it to my other concealers. Catrice Liquid Camouflage High Coverage Concealer in 005 Light Natural is slightly darker and has a very obvious yellow undertone. Catrice Liquid Camouflage High Coverage Concealer in 010 Porcellain is the darkest and looks more neutral. Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in 1 Fair is just a tad lighter than Essence and has a bit more pinkish tone to it. MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15 is also yellow toned and slightly darker, but not as yellow as 005 Light Natural. 


On the photo below they've all oxidized a little. MAC is the only one that doesn't seem to oxidize. I don't notice oxidation on the face itself, just on my hands when I swatch them.


Formula is creamy and almost seems to be a bit like a mousse. It has good pigmentation, but goes on a bit more sheer. Coverage is light to medium. You can build it up to a medium coverage and I find that it doesn't look cakey. If you apply it heavily, it can cover red patches and pimples. It also covers slightly colored under eye area, although it doesn't eliminate it completely.

It's also a bit moisturizing, but doesn't slide all over the place. I prefer a bit of moisture to the concealer, especially for under the eyes. Matte formulas tend to grab into fine lines and make them look worse. This one is great for under the eyes. It doesn't crease.

It has an average staying power. Under my eyes, where I have drier skin, it stays through the whole day, while it definitely fades off on my oilier parts like around the nose and on my forehead. It starts to look just a bit sheeny after a few hours, even though I always powder my face. My oilier t zone always gets a lot shinier through the day anyway. 

It has that typical muddy clay scent that most of foundations have, so no added perfumes.




On the left photo I have foundation and on the right photo I also added concealer under my eyes, around the nose, in the middle of brows and around the mouth. I hope you can notice how much brighter I look on the right photo. I love that the shade is light enough to make me look brighter.



Catrice Liquid Camouflage High Coverage Concealer is one of my all time favorite concealers and I wanted to test how it compared to Essence Camouflage Full Coverage Concealer. I applied one on one side and the other one on other.

Essence is more liquid and sheerer. Catrice is a lot thicker and therefore also looks heavier and has better coverage. Essence looks sheerer and more natural. You can apply more, but it won't look as cakey as Catrice. Essence also has a bit more of sheen and doesn't look as matte. It gives you just a bit of slight stickiness. The coverage is lighter with Essence. Both lightest shades look really similar when applied and I don't see as much difference between them as I do when I swatch them. I only notice that Essence looks brighter on me.

After about 6 hours of wear they both become a bit shiny on my T zone, but I noticed that the Essence side was shinier than the side with Catrice. So Essence is better for those of you that have drier skin. It also works best on my under eyes, which are drier than the rest of the face.


I think Essence concealer is perfect for those of you that don't need too much coverage, want something that lasts well, but mostly want something that is more moisturizing. It's perfect for drier skin as well as fair to light skin tones. The shade is fairly neutral and the formula is creamy and has good pigmentation. I adore it under the eyes and on drier parts, but I wouldn't use it for covering something really red or pimples. It also doesn't have that perfumed scent that Catrice has. I've heard some say that this bothers them. Catrice is my preferred choice because of the higher coverage, but they both have their good sides. And actually I've been using more of the Essence one lately, because of the more natural look. 

If you're interested in darker shade - 10 Nude, you can check out Lana's review

8 comments

  1. Take zanimive teksture je, ampak meni ue še vedno Catrice tudi bolj všeč. Essence bom pa uporabila za osvetljevanje obraza. Catrice pa za pod oči in nepravilnosti ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaz isto delam. Mi je všeč, da je Essence toliko svetlejši, sploh zdaj ko sem še vedno bleda, mi lepo osvetli določene dele obraza :). Čeprav tudi pod očmi mi je všeč, tam kjer ni modrih podočnjakov :).

      Delete
  2. Hvala za link <3 Essence res izgleda malo bolj naravno in tekstura mi je zdaj, ko uporabljam že nekaj časa nekako bolj všeč, lažje se nanese in zabriše. Jaz tudi zadnje čase bolj uporabljam Essence, sploh za pod oči, Catrice pa za kakšne druge nepravilnosti. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ni za kaj ;) Jaz sem tudi rabila, da sem ga dejansko vzljubila, ampak mi je zdaj skoz v dnevni uporabi. Se strinjam, za nanašanje je bolj "tekoč" kot Catrice :).

      Delete
  3. Jooj, zdaj si me spomnila, da še mene tale primerjava čaka nekje med osnutki, haha. Sem iz firbca morala prreizkusiti oba, ampak me nekako Catrice vedno znova preseneti. Eseencov korektor pa je res fajni za osvetljevanje, tako kot si rekla. Je zelo podoben camouflage pudru iz iste linije.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catrice je definitivno bolj zanesljiv za prekrivanje, čeprav Essence je pa po svoje tudi zanimiv. Odvisno kaj bolj rabiš :).
      xx

      Delete
  4. One of the best and most precise review I've ever read. Thank you so much 😍 You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I'm glad you like my style of reviews. Thank you <3

      Delete